Yummy Inspirations: The GAPS Diet Preparation  

Monday, December 10, 2012

The GAPS Diet Preparation




The countdown has begun - 2 weeks until we start our GAPS Diet journey and I'm in thick of shopping and cooking and freezing meals in preparation for the strict Introduction Diet phase.

GAPS Diet Shopping

I've been visiting Farmers Markets each weekend and stocking up on in season vegetables. My freezer is packed full of a variety of vegetables, but mostly lots and lots of chopped pumpkin - which is likely to be one of our staple carbohydrates through GAPS.

I've ordered the prescribed probiotic, fish oil and ingredients for the detox baths.

I've also been accumulating glass/mason jars for storing stock, sauerkraut, whey, homemade tomato sauce and mayonnaise, which I plan to start making soon.

A juicer and a dehydrator are both on my shopping wishlist, but as I won't be using them straight away I'm going to wait and hope to pick them a little cheaper at the post Christmas sales. 

GAPS Diet Cooking

I've been making a couple of stocks/bone broths a week and I feel I can breathe a little easier now that I have a couple of batches of chicken, lamb and beef stock ready and waiting in the freezer. I plan to thaw out a stock at a time, along with chopped pumpkin and a selection of vegetables on a daily basis. This will form the bulk of our intro diet.

I'm planning on replenishing the stock as I use it and consuming the meat/chicken from stock making to make sure we're eating enough actual protein. I've only frozen a bag or two of cooked meat/chicken as I plan for that to be the fresh part of each meal - cooking a couple of chicken legs or lamb chops in the prepared stock. (and then using the bones from the meals for making even more stock... and the circle of stock continues!)

I still need to clean out my pantry and fridge to get rid of all the food that's not GAPS friendly. I'm going to wait until closer to our start date and donate all the Non-GAPS food to a local charity who can make good use of my tinned chickpeas, packets of organic barley, etc.

GAPS Diet Chicken
 Chicken from stock making


GAPS Diet Reading

In addition to reading The GAPS Diet Book, I have also been reading through Cara's 30 Days On The GAPS Intro Diet Handbook and I'm confident that I won't run out of meal ideas. If you're on GAPS or planning to start GAPS soon, Cara's book is a must have. It's full of detailed menu planning to see you through the first 30 days and beyond. (Click Here To Learn More About 30 Days On The GAPS Intro Diet Handbook)

I'm actually getting more and more excited as the first day of the introduction diet draws nearer.

I'd love to hear from you. Please share your GAPS Preparation tips in the comments below.

*2013 Update - Click through to read our experience of each stage of The GAPS Introduction Diet.


More GAPS Diet Information:
To GAPS Or Not To GAPS?
Mashed Cauliflower (GAPS, Paleo)

I'd love you to be part of the growing Yummy Inspirations Community! Simply enter your email address below to receive your weekly newsletter with highlights and exclusive subscriber only content:




Rest assured that your email address is safe and you can unsubscribe at any time! 

Disclaimer - this post should not be treated as medical advice. It is meant for informational purposes only - please consult with your health professional if you have any concerns for the health of you or your family. Thank you.

Sharing at: Monday Mania; Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; Fat Tuesday; Traditional Tuesdays;  The Mommy Club; Wheat Free Wednesday; Works For Me Wednesday; Healthy 2Day Wednesday; Tasty Traditions; Full Plate Thursday; Gluten Free Wednesday; Allergy Free Wednesday; Whole Foods Wednesday; Fight Back Friday;

Disclosure - This Post Contains Affiliate Links

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At December 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Anonymous Jennifer@ Peanut Butter and Peppers said...

I'm glad you decided to do it! I look forward to reading the recipes you prepare!

 
At December 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Thanks for the support. I look forward to sharing the journey with you. :)

 
At December 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work with all the prep...my husband and I just began a few weeks ago...it is quite a process!

 
At December 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

It is! All the best with your GAPS Journey. :)

 
At December 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back real soon!
Miz Helen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home