Rhubarb Jam

It's only recently that I started to cook with Rhubarb - I didn't know what I was missing out on! It's a great ingredient to slow cook to jam/puree form and then spread on sandwiches, mix through french toast, some vanilla yoghurt or ice cream - for a delectable treat.
Rhubarb is actually a vegetable, not a fruit as is commonly thought - so including a little Rhubarb in your diet is delicious way to broaden your vegetable intake. It tastes similar to berries so if you have a fussy eaters in your midst, it's a great way to introduce a new vegetable, knowing that has a similar taste to strawberries.
To make the Rhubarb Jam, simply chop up a whole bunch of Rhubarb into pieces - make sure you remove and discard all of the leaves, they are poisonous!
Then, boil it away with a third of a cup of sugar. You may use more or less sugar depending on how sweet you'd like it. Cook over a low heat until you have a gorgeous, rich red jam. This Rhubarb "Jam" can be stored in the fridge when cool.
Rhubarb Jam
1 Bunch Rhubarb
1/2 Cup Rapadura Sugar (where to find rapadura)
1/4 Cup Water
- Chop the rhubarb up into chunks and throw them into a pot. Please be aware that the leaves are actually poisonous. So make sure you cut all the leaves off and discard them, before chopping the rhubarb stalks up to cook with.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the rhubarb in the pot, and then pour over the water.
- Turn the stove on to medium heat and once the rhubarb is bubbling away, turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer the rhubarb for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the bigger chunks. If you prefer a smoother texture, then purée the jam in a blender and/or push it through a sieve.
- Allow to cool and then pour the jam into a mason jar. (where to find mason jars)
- Store in the fridge and use within a few days.
Have your say - how do you enjoy rhubarb?
I'd love you to be part of the growing Yummy Inspirations Community! Simply enter your email address below to receive your weekly newsletter with highlights and exclusive subscriber only content:
Disclosure - this post contains affiliate links.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Fussy Eaters, Healthy Kids Snacks, Rhubarb Jam, Weston A Price







5 Comments:
This looks delicious. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/fabric-covered-can-pen-and-pencil.html
Debi @ Adorned From Above
Thanks for the invite! Will be sure to check it out.
Rhubarb is one of those foods that I have never tried. I have always been curious but have never had the opportunity to taste it. I need to make some jam & give it a try. Pinning this recipe for sure. Thanks, have a beautiful week :)
Yes, give it a try and let us know what you think!
I LOVE rhubarb! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!
Katie
www.funhomethings.com
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home