Yummy Inspirations: Honey Chicken Nuggets  

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Honey Chicken Nuggets




These Honey Chicken Nuggets are a bit of a miracle in our house - it's the first time Mr 3 has willingly, openly eaten Chicken in a "healthy" form. I have tried and tried every chicken nugget recipe I could get my hands on. Soaking the nuggets in all manner of marinades. He turned his nose up at every single one, refusing to eat more than a teeny tiny bite. So, I usually end up hiding chicken in other foods so that he at least eats the nutritious protein.

I didn't give up, and kept trying different recipes until, out of the blue, I thought, what if I tenderized the nuggets in honey? There is just something about the sweetness of honey that manages to draw in even my ultra picky eater to the point he just couldn't resist and ate nugget after nugget... while I did a happy dance on the side!

We love our Honey Chicken Nuggets coated in Matzo Meal, because it gives it a nutty flavor and texture. You could use breadcrumbs instead. Also, I haven't specified volume of flour or matzo meal because it just depends on how thick you like yours crumbed. I always just sprinkle it onto the plate and top up as needed.

In the past month, I have made these at least once a week and both boys absolutely demolish them! I have also followed the same recipe and made "grown up" Chicken Schnitzel's for dinner for my Husband and I - I just left the breasts whole and followed the rest of the recipe. They are so sweet and tender and moist and delicious that they are now also a "Husband Favorite"!

The boys love their Honey Chicken Nuggets in a Muffin Tin Meal, along with some popcorn and red pepper stars. I should have shown you a before and after of this meal because Mr 3 polished off every last crumb! 


 
Honey Chicken Nuggets
250g Chicken Breast
1 Tablespoon Honey
Flour
1 Egg, beaten
Breadcrumbs/Matzo Meal
Oil, for frying

1. Cut the chicken in to "nugget" sized pieces
2. Place the chicken nuggets into a bowl and drizzle over the honey. Mix to combine the honey really well and place in the fridge to marinate and tenderize for at least an hour.
3. Once the chicken nuggets have been in the fridge for an hour, get prepared for the crumbing process by laying out a plate with flour, a plate with breadcrumbs/matzo meal and a bowl with the beaten egg.
4. First place each nugget in the flour to coat, then dip in the egg and finally roll it around in the breadcrumbs/matzo meal to coat it completely.
5. Once crumbed, place the nuggets on a plate in the fridge for half an hour. The extra fridge time helps the nuggets to "set" in their coating.
6. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and, when hot, place the nuggets in the frying pan and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through.

Substitution Note - you can substitute the flour/breadcrumbs for a gluten free option, the magic of these nuggets is the honey marinade, so it can be altered to suit your families tastes/needs/

I'd love you to be part of the growing Yummy Inspirations Community! Simply enter your email address below to receive your weekly newsletter with highlights and exclusive subscriber only content:





Rest assured that your email address is safe and you can unsubscribe at any time! 



More Yummy Recipes:
Healthy Chicken Bake with Popcorn
Peanut Butter on Toast (With Hidden Chicken)
Honey Roasted Chickpeas

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At June 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So CUTE!! Crossing my fingers you'll share at my party! Saturdays at Seven! XO, Aimee

 
At June 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Anonymous said...

I've dipped chicken nuggets in honey, but never thought about using it as a marinade. I bet this is delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

 
At June 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM , Anonymous Minnie(@thelady8home) said...

This is really innovative. :D This one I am going to try out for sure.

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Thanks! Have linked up :)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

You're welcome! It is so delicious! Hope you enjoy!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Yay! Happy to inspire!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Allyson McGuire said...

Found your blog through the It's Overflowing link up - these look so good! Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Happy you found me! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

Such a fantastic idea - soaking them in honey first. I bet these taste great and can't wait to try them. Pinned :)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful! The recipe look like one my guys would really enjoy!

 
At June 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM , Blogger Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

Sounds yummy and what a creative way to serve it all up! Thanks for joining in this week at our recipe hop ☺

 
At June 20, 2012 at 6:19 AM , Blogger kewkew said...

Looks delicious. Gotta try that recipe.

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Thanks for the invite. Have linked up!

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Sandra Lee said...

Now this is what I call a Happy Meal! My granddaughter loves chicken nuggets and I'd much rather her eat these than the commercial ones.

 
At June 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM , Blogger Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party. Love it that you served it in a muffin tin!

 
At June 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Alecia @ ChickenScratch NY said...

ugh! Tried to pin 3 times but I keep getting an error! This reminds me of something my dad used to make for my sister and I

I’d love if you you’d stop over and link up at my party
http://www.chickenscratchny.com/2012/06/whats-cluckin-9.html

 
At June 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Sorry about the pinning error, you could try pin it from the Yummy Inspirations Pineterst Board - http://pinterest.com/yummyinspire/. Thanks for the invite, will go and link up now! :)

 
At July 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

Snagging this recipe for my own kids! I think they'll love it. :)

 
At July 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM , Blogger Sugary Flower said...

I bet my daughter would love those - luckily though, she will eat chicken without any disguises! (Although at age 3 it was still a bit of a struggle, so don't give up hope!) :)

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger YummyInspirations said...

Thanks, Good to know they become less fussy with age!

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Carole said...

Thanks for linking this in. Have a great week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home